Thursday, September 30, 2010

Information and Curiosity

The amount of information that can be found through one outlet is incredible. I have already had experience searching through property taxes purely out of curiosity; a trait passed on from my mom.

It was actually my mom who introduced me to the Hernando County Property Appraisers website. I was curious about a historic house in the Spring Lake area of Hernando County that had been uninhabited for years that I had fallen into renovation love. I found out the house had been built in the early 1900’s. It was a two story, two bedroom, two bath house with a fireplace in the living room. The current owners came into possession of it when a trust was transferred into their names. The cost of the transfer was only $1000 which was thoroughly shocking. The owners however never lived there. In fact, they currently live in Georgia (GA address can be found on the website.) The house is in considerable dilapidation but still holds its historic charter.

I then proceeded to look at the worth of my moms house, my fiancés parents house, my sister’s house, my fiancés brother’s house, and anyone else I could remember full names and general location of their home. It was sickeningly compulsive. My curiosity had gotten the best of me. Consequently, all those numbers were pointless.

Even though I am familiar with the Hernando County Property Appraisers website, I never thought to look more deeply into the owner’s of the historic house. Mainly for the fact, the only time in the last 20 years the house had changed hands was when the trust transferred.

In a sense, having the ability to see if the person owning a house is delinquent on taxes, when they bought the house, names on the deed etc seems very voyeuristic. While that information can be pertinent for people running for public office, who cares if John Doe down the street owns a $250,000 house that was originally worth $500,000.

It was funny to see the look on the class’ faces when Trigg began to divulge all the information that can be found on the site. There were looks of shock, puzzlement and even a few dropped jaws. The information is out there. All it takes is an inquisitive mind.

As a journalism major I understand the importance of public records, but sometimes wonder if there is too much personal information out there. My line of thought is going towards identity fraud. I am fully aware how controversial my public records comment was too.

People are allowed to know what is going on in the world surrounding them especially if it affects their safety, and I am a full supporter of the Sunshine Laws. If I wasn’t a full supporter I would be graduating with the wrong degree in December. My question from Trigg’s presentation is when is the amount of information on the internet too much?

Maybe I’m just getting soft, but it seems like sometimes personal identities are not valued enough.

29 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I've always had a strange feeling about so much information made available to the public. As a journalism major, I understand the importance of obtaining such records, but as a person, I also think there may be too much out there. It makes me wonder about my privacy or lack-there-of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog. I liked how you talked about your previous knowledge and not just what you learned from Trigg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is true, when is it enough? Obviously Fla offers up a great amount of information a lot of states don't, but I really wonder how many people don't know that this information about them is out there. It doesn't bother me, but that notion may change when I own a house. Good Job on the blog, not too lengthy, and very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's a little crazy to know that so much is out there for everyone to see. I think the journalist inside of us loves it, while the human being inside of us would like some things to remain private. Either way, it's out there! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to completely agree with you. I admit, I was one of the many shocked students. I could not believe how much information was out there for everyone to see. I'm really kind of glad that the majority of people don't really know that they have access to a site like that because it is kind of scary. On the other hand, as a reporter, this site is definitely helpful and will allow for great accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you that it is way to easy to find out information about people these days. Maybe that has something to do with why identity theft is on the rise. Too much information available = bad things most of the time. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a little un-nerving to hear we could search through all of this seemingly personal information. I'm sure no one will ever agree on the right amount of sunshine covering public records, but for now I'm content with being able to rummage through these facts. Also, that house sounds amazing. It makes me want to look up old buildings and dig further into their past. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make a valid point Sarah. There is so much personal information floating around and its free to anyone who cares to look it up. It does make me wonder if smart criminals look up the value of people's homes if they pay property taxes on time to determine which houses to invade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just like many of our classmates have admitted, I too looked up family and friends on the tax collector and property appraiser's website. It felt like a serious invasion of privacy. It was almost awkward to have conversations with those people after researching all of that information.

    It makes me wonder, who wants to look at my records and why? Though I have nothing to hide, there is still something very unnerving about the possibility that someone could find out my information without my ever knowing.

    Jenna Withrow

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel violated. I like how touched on how to much information is out there and can make you feel as if you have been violated in a way. You have to wonder to yourself, what do people know about me? I love that point. The tie in with the personal experience was well-done as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You bring up a good point about what is too much information. It's something I've wondered about as well.

    Another thing that struck me was you've got a story on your hands! You have me interested in this historic house. Please write a story about this. Very interesting. Great way to incorporate an example like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that you shared your personal experience here, great way to share your voice! I tend to agree with you about the too-much-information issue -- I tend to be nervous about identity theft. I always shred documents with personal info on them, and the thought of all those records online for anyone to see is a bit unnerving. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right the amount of information you can get from one source is incredible. I like how you used some personal experience in your blog. The privacy issues were important to touch on. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the blog. Especially like how you incorporated your own voice and personal experiences into it. Very well written and interesting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you. It's bad enough that people write too much information about themselves on social networks. The fact someone can find out that much information about you or your house is almost disturbing. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What else did you find out about the house in Hernando? I was one of those students with their jaws open. I had no idea all that information was so easily accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the tone of this we very investigative. Almost as if you are solving a mystery =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. "..seems very voyeuristic. While that information can be pertinent for people running for public office, who cares if John Doe down the street owns a $250,000 house that was originally worth $500,000."

    Your blog addresses the blur between public and private citizens and what information the public is entitled to.

    informative, thought-provoking blog! nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your writing is excellent! And you raise an interesting question when you ask if the internet actually gives too much personal information. I believe sometimes it does.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's one thing to voluntarily post personal information on a website like Facebook- because there should be no reasonable expectation of privacy on the internet- and a whole other thing to have property and housing values for people who are non-public figures. My parents house is valued very, very low. I come from a low income family. Does that mean the rest of the world should be free to know that unless I put it out there?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think we are all concerned on some level about our privacy. Just always keep in mind: Would it hurt me if the entire world knew about it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought your blog was interesting and honest. I thought it was funny that you said you felt dirty after digging into JT's family's properties. Good job, I think I get my curiosity from my mom too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a fan of the incorporation of personal experiences in the blogs...so i obviously loved this one! Since you fell into restoration love with the house, did you decide to pursue renovating it?

    Katie Campbell actually hit it on the dot. The beginning of reading this blog was like reading a mystery. Great storytelling, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well done! I agree with you that public records are slightly intrusive and personal. The easy access to all this information is somewhat unsettling also. However this information is very useful. It's just scary to think that anyone can acquire this information.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was also surprised by Triggs visit just how much exactly you can find out about a person. As a journalist, sometimes it might be hard to gather information you want because you don't want to cross that line. The job has to get done though. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great blog. I definitely agree with you about how much information is available to the public, but similarly it's important to have this information accessible to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Disagree! It's very important to keep open records in our type of government and society. U.S.A.!

    ReplyDelete
  28. With reference to your last sentence...There is never a limit to the amount of information made available on the internet. Thats the beauty of it. Its important for s journalists to use this flux of information to our advantage

    ReplyDelete
  29. I struggle somewhat with that point as well: when is it too much? I'd like to believe I'm all for the availability of public records, but the fact that this question is present in my mind leads me to question my support. I feel like that is simple cause and effect. While finding out information on a local historic landmark seems very interesting, randomly checking into other people's property info for the sake of doing so seems like the practices of a stalker.

    ReplyDelete