Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tim Nickens

I have learned a lot over the last few semesters about journalism, and as my time at USF comes to a close, I am learning even more information relevant to my future. Tim Nickens, editor for the St. Petersburg Times editorial pages, helped to solidify the importance of using public records as a source for a news story.
Nickens coming speaking to the class could not have come at a better time. The Wednesday following his visit I learned the fundamentals of my internship with Creative Loafing. I will be writing for the news and politics section. What better use for public records than in news and politics?
A statement that was particularly true for me may seem insignificant compared to the stories Nickens told of public records bringing about valuable information about politicians. “It is one thing to have a record. It is another thing to know what it means,” said Nickens. In news and politics, knowing what you have in front of you is extremely important so that you can quickly and reliably report a story. Knowing what you’re talking about has the ability to give you credibility.
Sometimes I feel like I let myself become victim of not asking enough questions, but Nickens was able to thoroughly reach me to help me to better understand the importance of asking questions. The questions can be about the documents in front of you or the actions taken in order to get a piece of legislature passed.
Along with questions, good sources are invaluable. A good source can lead you to the documents needed to complete the story. Reporters learn to think in terms of “not why is something open, but why is something closed?”
I was able to take from Nickens visit the different avenues in which to pursue a story. Documents from the property appraiser, courthouse, money appropriation committees, arrest records etc are all tools that can help complete a story.
When I found out the type of writing I would be doing for Creative Loafing, I was glad I had the knowledge from Nickens visit in order to be able to dig a little deeper into stories. I have to know where to look and what I am looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment