Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Thrills of Voting

I have been registered to vote since I graduated from high school, but I will admit in the last four years; yesterday was the first time I voted. I drove an hour to my hometown to vote because I wanted to make sure that my opinion was counted. I even wrote an article for my internship "Younger voters still excited in 2010" that was posted yesterday morning about voting.

I voted with my mom. It was a moment of nostalgia because as a child she would bring me with her while she voted in hopes to instill patriotism in her young daughter. My story of accomplishment in my vote is minimal to what I saw yesterday at my local voting station.

The lines were not long but the people coming in and out was in a steady flow. The people weren't angry. Even the police officer watching the polling station was in plain clothes. On a cloudy day in a small church in Brooksville, Republicans, Democrats and Independants alike said hello and held doors for each other. I saw a grandmother, mother and son (no older than 19)walk in to the church together to vote. Three generations came together to vote. What and who they voted for I don't know. But it was the fact they were there together that made an impression.

Happy volunteers greeted people and directed them to their voting stations. Thank you and have a great day was heard throughout the small room. A man brought his young daughter with him to vote. It made me smile thinking of all the times I went with my mom. I thought maybe she'll come here when she's my age with her dad again.

Many of my friends told me how they were excited about voting and making themselves heard. I know though that not all college students have the same mentality, but to know that there are some people out there my age that care enough to try is uplifting. I've been told before by strangers at political events old enough to be my grandparent that "it brings them joy to see so many young people invested in their country. Because when they are gone, they have hope that things will carry on."

The results of voting obviously made a huge statement, but it was people watching that gave me the most satisfaction. Maybe it was the small town atmosphere and the cordial people, but I felt proud to be apart of something bigger than myself in an place that makes you feel small.

No comments:

Post a Comment